Charleston Scenes · Book p. 74
Market Hall


Drag to compareLibrary of Congress
The Old Market House was built at the corner of Meeting and Market Streets in 1841 after fire destroyed the Masonic Hall at this site. Architect Edward Brickell White used brick covered with stucco to resemble sturdy stone; the building was modeled after a temple in Athens.
This is the caption as printed in 100 Significant Civil War Photographs: Charleston in the War. It has not yet been through this site’s research and fact-checking pass.
